With the rise of remote working, the big cities of San Francisco, New York, Chicago, and Washington DC are losing their allure. Millennials are moving and we can’t imagine a better place to book a one-way ticket to than Southwest Florida.
Florida’s Paradise Coast’s cities offer a work-life balance that’s hard to compete with anywhere else in the country. The area’s ample activities and work opportunities promise to keep any young professional motivated, entertained, and smiling.
view of the sunrise at Babcock Ranch
sunset by a small dock
The economy is booming in Southwest, Florida! In Charlotte and Lee Counties, jobs increased over 15% between 2014-2019, outpacing national growth by over 8%. With a strong labor force of over 420,000+ and a positive tax climate, Southwest Florida offers ample opportunity to get the most out of your working dollar.
There is no better place to be if you work remotely. Innovative professional workspaces like “The Hatchery” at Babcock Ranch offer collaborative working environments and communities dedicated to supporting and encouraging members to find purpose, further develop passions, and achieve career goals.
Reasonable Cost of Living
Southwest Florida is a strong competitor in its availability of affordable housing and living. Many cities in the area offer a lower cost of living than the national average.
You can compare the cost of living of where you live now to where you are moving to on bestplaces.net. For example, to move from San Francisco to Ft. Myers would decrease your cost of living by 64.3%, and housing costs an average of 84.9% less!
You can also view housing costs, incomes, and other census data for South Florida towns on the census bureau website.
a woman is going for a run on a trail near the welcome bridge
Life is about more than working and Southwest Florida offers endless activities so you can fill every non-working moment with fun! Here are a few ideas:
- Hiking, walking, and running: Wander our beaches, lakes, and wetlands, hike in our forests and parks and run through our cities with architecturally stunning buildings and street art!
- Wildlife watching: Given the vast expanse and ease of wildlife watching, Southwest Florida is a prime place to see some of the rarer wildlife in Florida. Get your feet wet on an exploration of wet flatwoods habitats, just don’t forget to bring your camera and binoculars!
- Get out on the water: Many of Southwest Florida’s best sites are only accessible by boat so whether you choose to kayak, canoe, or take a motorized boat, you are sure to find a compelling adventure out on the water.
- Fish: The streams, lakes, and ocean waters all offer ample fishing opportunities! The Southwest Florida Waterways website offers a free online guide to identify the fish you see and catch! See Florida Freshwater Fishing Regulations for fishing rules and remember you must have a valid FWWCC fishing license to fish.
- Golf: Florida is a golfer’s paradise, offering physical beauty surrounding, challenging courses, excellent playability, and gorgeous weather.
No matter your interests, Southwest Florida has the events to match! From live music to farmers markets and art shows, we have it all.
For example, Babcock Ranch offers an annual art show featuring more than 50 exceptional juried artists. You can see exceptional art from watercolor, oil, and acrylic painting to jewelry, ceramics, and wood art. If farmer’s markets are more your style, the Lee County Visitor & Convention Bureau website offers listings of 10 area farmers markets.
Live music events, fairs, and other activities are also available year-round!
Southwest Florida’s weather and culture make for unique and enjoyable accessibility. You’ll have so many quick options to get where you are going, that you won’t need your car! In minutes you can walk from your home to the beach using one of the area’s extensive walking paths or in true Florida fashion— just take your golf cart!
Per Florida law, golf carts can used on roads as long as they have:
- Head/tail/ brake lights
- Turn signals
- Vehicle identification number
- Max. speed of 25 MPH
A Technology Leader
When you live in Southwest Florida, you can have access to cutting-edge technology as soon as it’s released.
Fast Internet: It’s not just fast internet, it’s the fastest residential internet speeds in the U.S. With Fiber-To-The-Home.
Clean Energy: Babcock Ranch created the largest solar-plus-storage system operating in the U.S. today.
Driverless vehicles: Transdev is a global leader in mobility and autonomous operations and their technology is available right here, in Southwest Florida.
Solar power: Look out for solar fields, solar panels, and even solar trees! Solar trees combine technology, functionality, and art. You can use them to teach your children about solar energy or to power up your handheld device! Solar panels are also widely accessible and can be used to reduce your monthly utility bills and environmental footprint by adding rooftop solar to your home.
When choosing where to raise your family, it can be comforting to know they will be able to enjoy the beauty of the place you live for years to come! Green building standards and a commitment to sustainability in your neighborhood will ensure your current needs are met without compromising the next generation’s ability to satisfy their own needs. Here are a few things you should look for in a sustainable home:
- High-performance windows and insulation
- Tight construction and ducts
- Efficient heating and cooling equipment (look for natural cooling, like porches, raised foundations, and ceiling fans)
- Energy-saving lighting and appliances
- Programmable thermostats that let you control the heating and cooling of your home to the times you need them
- Water conservation through native and low-impact landscaping reclaimed water irrigation and WaterSense® compliant fixtures
We know your child’s education is important to you and finding a school you can trust is crucial. To provide the best education to your child, Babcock Ranch opened K-8 schooling focused on delivering best-in-class education. The Babcock Neighborhood School features a “STEAM” place-based, student-centered education built on active learning, collaboration, and community.
For younger children, Bloom Academy at Babcock Ranch offers a tailored learning curriculum for each child, from infants to pre-kindergarten age children. Bloom wants you to feel comfortable knowing your child is loved, and carefully looked after each day.
Babcock Ranch also offers summer soccer camp, basketball camp, and fall flag football camp. All camps are co-ed and open to grades K-6.
Living at Babcock Ranch
If you are ready to make a move and your priorities include having fun, providing your children with the best education available, taking care of your own health, being a good environmental steward, using technology responsibly… then you’ve come to the right place! These are some of the major priorities that guide planning decisions and the overall vision of Babcock Ranch. We’d love to help you make your sustainable life goals a reality. For more information, call us at (941) 200-1494.